This year the kids and I tried to have a little greenhouse to grow some different sprouts (flowers) to plant later on. I thought this was a great idea for them to see how plants grow...to let them have some fun planting and watering, and to see their results grow before their eyes. (also a great science lesson!) They, of course, LOVED planting the seeds...and now their favorite thing to do is to get to go water the now sprouts... and the strawberry plants we potted. It has been enjoyable for me, too, since I have never done that. I have potted lots of flowers, but never this. Now we can look outside and see our sunflower plants that are now almost a foot tall..and the rest of the flowers are not far behind. It's also pretty exciting to look out and see our green strawberries that are growing! The kids are so excited about them turning red...then the best part..picking and eating them!!
All of this has been quite an object lesson for me, however. I have been thinking quite a bit how these tiny seeds were planted into soil and with the right combination of sun and water they have sprouted and are growing into these tiny sprouts with such tender stems...and with the right care they grow taller and stronger. It has made me think so much about my kids and how we plant seeds in them...all kinds of them...beliefs, character traits, work ethic, etc...and how we have to nurture these seeds in order for them to grow. (all with God's grace, of course) Back to seeds....we have to gently care for them...watering them, pruning them, giving them the right amount of fertilizer, sun, etc. If they get too much of one thing, they will not grow into what they were intended to grow into. If we are not gentle with them, they will break. Such a great analogy for raising children! We have to gently care for our children...giving them a balance of grace and discipline. Teaching them the Word. Not being harsh with them. Teaching them academics. Teaching them obedience. Teaching them work ethic, character traits, etc. All the while leading them by example and pointing them to the cross. Whew! What an awesome responsibility! I'm really thankful that God has reminded me of this as I watch these tiny plants grow. I pray as I watch my plants grow that God will give me much grace and wisdom in caring for the most important plants He has given me...my precious children.
It's amazing how your blog and Kristin's post on FB were exactly what I needed to read today. I've been having some challenges with the kiddos and my responses to their defiance or mistakes. Thank you for your insight. It has put me to shame (in a way), and it has also reminded me of my purpose as a mother. Thanks for the reminder! Great thoughts!
ReplyDelete