Friday, April 23, 2010

Tonight as I put my precious 2 1/2 year old to bed, I got really emotional for some reason. Partly because as she was drinking her milk and we were saying our prayers, she put her sweet little arm around my neck..told me that she loved me and rubbed the back of my head. I mean, seriously, does it get any better than that?!?

Of course, that just made me think how quickly time passes and how I wish I could freeze this time right now....which made me emotional thinking how quickly my children are growing. Really it wasn't that long ago when I had 2 1/2 year old Noah who loved to snuggle with Mommy before he went to bed...now he is 5 and while he likes to read books before he goes to sleep, a simple hug and kiss goodnight is sufficient for him.

It made me think how thankful I am that we always have held the kids, snuggled with them, rocked them, etc, before bed. (this is definitely not a post about opinions on getting children to bed...everyone is different!) Even though sometimes it was frustrating when they didn't go to sleep right away, now I am so grateful for that sweet time before sleep when either Andy or I snuggled with them...especially as now I realize more and more just how quickly this goes by. 

Although we definitely have our hard days, the more I think about it the more I think that this is one of my favorite seasons so far. I love aspects of baby stages, toddler stages, and so on...but having a 2 1/2 year old and a 5 year old together is really fun. They are old enough to play together, imagine, run around, play games, be creative and just love on each other. They are old enough that I don't have to pack either one of them (or at least for very long) but still little enough that they love to hug on Mommy. Even though they fight, they really love each other and are protective of one another. Oh how I wish I could freeze time right now! I am so thankful for my children. Lord, please help me to cherish them and this time when they are little...and may we strive as parents to point them to You in all that we do.

2 comments:

  1. Love this!

    And I've had thoughts of wanting to freeze the moment with Cate ... especially lately. Thankfully you are near to remind me that other good years are head. Man, how I have loved this 2-year-old year, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet! I know what you mean. However, I am so thankful that my kids are as lovey-dovey as ever. I try to never discourage them from hugging and kissing, and I'm sure you are the same way. I'm a hugger, so I love that my kids are huggers too. I'm a firm believer in "hugs make everything better." I just now found your blog, so I'm going to start checking it randomly. Enjoyed the read.

    ReplyDelete